Key point: to be a great communicator you have to be truly present. Do you know the 4 key principles of being present? If not what do you do to practice being present? If the answer is that you don’t, you likely have some work to do.
A lot of people have asked me about what I think makes a truly great communicator. One thing I’ve always emphasized in responding, is the importance of remembering how you make people feel. However to make people feel a positive connection with you, PRESENCE is vital. I recently ran across an iconic article written by Christopher von Baeyer entitled “The Power of Presence.” The following is the essence captured in 4 key elements:
- PRESENT: The ability to be centered and aware in each moment of communication.
- REACHING OUT: The ability to build and sustain an authentic relationship with one’s audience.
- EXPRESSIVE: The ability to communicate dynamically and congruently with voice, body, mind and emotion.
- SELF-KNOWING: The ability to reflect upon and leverage one’s unique identity as a person and a professional.
If you have consistent feedback and a validated understanding how to really apply the big 4 above, you’re probably a darn good people connector. If not , I suggest you learn more about about how to develop yourself more in this area . It is a never ending development journey. (By the way, great companies like The Boston Consulting Group, put leaders through days of training on this capability.)
- Recognize that developing an authentic personal communication system is something each of us can develop. It is a skill system and not just something we’re born with or not. We have to work at it.
- Determine where you are relative to each of the 4 principles and pick ONE thing to work on (e.g.working at appropriate eye contact, remembering people’s names and something about them, finding our voice, etc.)
- Remember that at the end of every interaction, people will remember how you made them feel over everything else.
4. Make the ability to be a great communicator and people connector one of your core skills.
Be PRESENT in The Triangle,